Monday, July 20, 2026

Leveled up ⬆️

My people!! Happy blessed pday to you all!! I had a lovely week!! 

This week I obtained my nineteenth year of life! ⬆️👵 What does every 19 year old want to do on their birthday? Go to the dentist of course. So that's what I did. I think most of you already know that my aspiration in life is to become a hot soccer mom dental hygienist. My time at this dental office is what I like to call a study abroad moment. Best part is they were playing Taylor Swift so I got to listen to a couple Taylor Swift songs on my bday! I loved my birthday!!! A member made me a cake, my comp got me a Taylor Swift shirt, and my parents sent me the best package ever!! Honestly, I don't think I have ever been happier! I was blessed with the opportunity to serve and teach others of Christ and to me that made my birthday the best one yet (except for maybe when I saw Taylor Swift in real life... I'll get back to you on that.) 

I have been thinking a lot about the mission age change recently because of my birthday. This week I will hit 4 months on the mission. These 4 months that I have had the privilege to serve the people of Brazil mean everything to me. The people I have met. The places I have seen. The memories I have made. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I know God's timing is truly perfect. 

Two baptisms yesterday!!!! SspPLasSHhhhh ZoOoonNeeEe!! 🌊🏄‍♂️ Luis and Julio got baptized!! I haven't written a lot about the people we are teaching because I didn't want to jinx their progress and their stories are really personal. Julio has been working really hard to be baptized. Yesterday marked his 19th day not smoking. I remember when we taught him about the Word of Wisdom and we made a plan for him to stop smoking. It was a struggle at first but he finally has gotten his stride and I am so happy that he got the chance to make this covenant with God!! Luis is a character! He is so very funny. We spent half of every lesson laughing because of something random he said. He lives in a shack in the trees close to the chapel. He doesn't have a lot but he loves God with his whole heart and for him, that's enough. 

One of my fears as a missionary is that we help someone get baptized and then later on down the road they decide the decision wasn't worth it and stop going to church/lose their relationship with God. I straight up asked Luis if he thinks he will keep going to church and he said, "Oh, I am just gonna live here!!" He went on and on about how every Sunday he will be here at church. That made my heart so happy because I don't want to help people only temporarily, but eternally. 

This week my sister sent me a byu devotional that I absolutely loved and invite all of you to read it!! It is called, "Bread or Stones: Understanding the God we Pray to." In this talk, S. Wilcox describes when he sent his daughter on a study abroad to Russia before cellphones and email (its giving, "back in my day...." hahah) and he wrote her letters to bring with her for the moments she might need advice or a little piece from home. He was guessing what to write in these letters because he didn't know exactly what would happen or what she would need. He then compared the scriptures to letters that God has written for us; for the exact moments we may need them. "The scriptures are our Father in Heaven’s letters; only He knows more than I did as a father what you and I would need. There are times in our lives when we need to open the letter and communicate with our Father in Heaven, and understand what He is like and His concern for us." I hadn't ever thought of the scriptures in this way before. A little letter from God. He knows exactly what we need and exactly when we need it. I know through the scriptures we can understand the love he has for us more clearly and learn more about his plan for our lives individually. Don't forget to open your letter from God today!! 

Sorry this email is a little painfully long it just had so many good bits and pieces! 🥰🤗

Small jots: 

- my comp and I were cleaning and filling up the baptismal font and the water started spurting out brown. It was a whole other ordeal #opposition in all things 

- Finally took the bus this week. We saw someone get off a bus so I chased her down like a mad woman and asked her how she did it. (There isn't a bus stop in town, this dude literally just stops in random places and doesn't have a set schedule. 🙃)

- For language study everyday, my comp and I started reading 5 minutes in English and 5 minutes in Spanish and it is becoming one of my favorite parts of the day! 

- Someone lit a fire in the road the other day and then left it. I was wishing I had a marshmallow and a roasting stick. It was the perfect temp for that golden crisp. 

- Taught a lesson to someone who has a pet goose. The thing had a colar with a little bell and everything. It's name is Diane if you were wondering. 🪿

- Ended up giving a talk in church yesterday. Apparently President Souza decided I wasn't off the hook that easy. Silly guy

 

Sending all my love!! As always, Jesus loves ya! 

 

Com carinho, 

🕺🥳🤠💖🤟

Sister Whiting 



Brazil is becoming a second home for me :) So grateful for these past 4 months.


(Holy happiness) 😇😆


My bday cake. We legit ate half of it in one day. I think the member uses some time of crack in her cooking cuz I am addicted. 

#dunked 


Luis! 


Julio! 


Rafaelli is about to leave on her mission next week. She's really cool, someday when I grow up I am gonna be like her. 😌


The member who made my cake 🥰 I am trying to convince her to open a bakery. 


Diane the goose. In all her glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So I Can Kiss You?"

Hey friends! 🦦   Welcome back to another cute lil' brazil update! I hope your week was slaytastic!    TRANSFER NEWS!! 🚨   We...