Hey yall!!
I am finally in the mission field!!!
I am in Barra Velha! This area is HUGE! It is one of the
biggest areas in the mission. My companion is Sister Ascurra- she is from Peru
and does not speak english. However, I see this as a blessing because it forces
me to speak portuguese :) She is the sweetest person in the whole world and I
am convinced I won the lottery to have her as my trainer.
This past week has been crazy! Moving to a new place is
always an adjustment but moving to a place where they don't flush their toilet
paper.... well let's just say that has been a ginormous adjustment for me. Here
in Brazil, the plumbing system is so bad they don't flush their toilet paper;
instead you put it in a trash can next to the toilet. If you flush the toilet
paper it clogs the toilet and floods the house. This week we were at a member's
house and I used the bathroom and out of habbit I put the toilet paper in the
toilet (you can put an American girl in Brazil but you can't take the American
out of her). Imagine my fret when I realized I couldn't flush the toilet or it
would be a big problem. I stood there contemplating my life decisions and then did
the only thing I thought was right. Please don't think differently of me after
this and I think you know where this is going. Yup. I grabbed my toilet paper
out of the toilet. Thankfully there was soap. Lots of soap. Needless to say, I
am never making that mistake again.
I spoke in sacrament meeting on Sunday! It was a little
scary I am not going to lie but I managed not to embarrass myself! Luckily we
are in a branch that has about 80 members, so it wasn't a large group of
people. Here in Barra Velha the church is very small, we have church meetings
in a house/appartment. But they just finished constructing a brand new chapel
which will be dedicated at the end of the month!! The new chapel is very far
from our apartment so my comp and I will be walking about an hour to get to
church every Sunday. But, we are so happy that the members here finally get
their very own chapel.
It is actually kind of cold here. It rains a lot and the
rain is freezing. However, I am thankful for the rain because there is a legend
here, the more rain on your mission badge- the hotter your future spouse will
be. My husband is gonna be HOT yall.
It has been so amazing testifying of the gospel. Everytime I
have the opportunity to share my testimony, I am reminded why I decided to
serve a mission. I am out here because of the love God has for his children. I
am out here because I want them to know of his love. Lots of people here are
surprised when we teach them that the stories in the Book of Mormon took place
here in the Ancient Americas. They are even more surprised when we teach them
that Christ came to visit the people here as well as the people in Jerusalem.
God truly does love all his children. So much so that he sent his Son Jesus
Christ for us. He visits us in our afflictions. He kneels down with us to wipe
away our tears. He loves us.
Small jots:
- Gave someone a Book of Mormon and they gave me tooth paste
in return #iloveithere
- Everyone and their dog here has a dog. I have never seen
so many dogs in my life.
- Comp and I got called beautiful multiple times by a 71
year old man randomly throughout a lesson we were teaching (what a silly goose)
- I LOVE the food here. I never want to leave.
- For some reason they have a Statue of Liberty here? Not
really sure why, and I don't think the Brazillians know why either. I sang the
national anthem when I saw it; bar for bar π¦
πΊπΈ
"Come mais sister" count: 6 times (I am surprised
it is this low)
ATTENTION π¨π¨π¨
So, my mission president has a rule that we are not allowed
to email people individually unless they are family members. I am pretty sad
about this rule, but if you email me I can still read it- I just can't respond.
Keep sending me emails, I love to read them!! I am also not allowed to have
anyone except for my family on my google photos so just know that if you got
kicked off my google photos I am NOT mad at you!! I am just trying to be
obedient ☺️ I am getting a new mission president on June 23rd
so these rule might change...
That's all!! I love yall so very much! Jesus loves you
too!!
πΊπ₯³π€ ππ€
Com Carinho,
Sister Whiting














No comments:
Post a Comment