Monday, May 25, 2026

A Melody From A Drunk Man

Hey yall!! 

 

Happy Pday!!! I hope you all had a wonderful week! My week was WILD! 

 

It started off super strong on Tuesday when my comp and I were doing weekly planning at the church. A member came and accidentally locked us in the primary room while we were planning! Whoopsie dasies. And the door didn't unlock from the side we were on. But don't you worry- Lizzie Whiting was determined to preach the gospel to the people in Barra Velha. I found a window. I opened said window. And I climbed right out. Like the saying goes, when one door closes, a window opens. Right after we climbed out the window (probably flashing a little bit of our garments hahaha) we found a family to teach!!!! Right down the street from the church. We taught them about the Restoration and The Book of Mormon. They had lots of questions and asked us to come back again!! I was so happy!! The Lord truly is preparing people to recieve the gospel. 

 

Wednesday night we went to the bus station to buy tickets to Itapema for divisions. It was kind of late at night and there weren't many people there. We were just chilling waiting for our bus when this man came up to us. You know when someone is walking kinda silly and you can tell they have been doing other extra curricular activities earlier in the day that have to do with the word beer? Yah. I remember thinking to myself- this is gonna be interesting. He approaches us and tells us that we are very beautiful. He then proceeds to say that he is a singer and he will now sing us a song. I think he sang for as long as that song by Queen, "Bohemian Raphsody." The whole time I was trying so hard not to laugh because what he was singing made absolutely no sense. Poor guy kept almost falling go the ground he was so drunk. He then proceeds to grabs our hands and plants a big fat kiss on them. My comp and I kept saying "You don't need to do that." He started singing AGAIN! He then said that we should all sing together. But first he said I have beautiful eyes and asked me what my name was. I said, "I am Sister Whiting. I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." I then asked him if he already goes to another church and if he has ever heard of the Book of Mormon. He just looked at me really confused. He then tried to kiss our hands again so my comp amd I made our great escape to the side of the bus station that had more people. I don't think I will ever forget that little drunk man and his melody for my comp and I. It was awesome. 

 

Divisions were awesome! I got to be comps with Sister Prato for the day! She is so funny, we spent the day laughing and having a good time. I learned a lot and I got to recite the first vision from memory during one of our lessons! That night we bought a huge pizza to celebrate my two months on the mission. And the pizza here has chocolate in the crust!!! It sounds nasty but it is absolute heaven yall. 

 

This week I was pondering on the scripture "Every man shall hear the fullness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power." (Doctrine and Covenants 90:11) My mission is a melting pot of people from all around the world. There are people who speak German, Italian, French, and especially Spanish. I remember after I landed here in Floripa one of the APs told me I will have to learn Spanish beacuse so many people move here from countries close to Brazil. He was not lying. We have a woman from Valensuala who we taught last week in Spanish. And by we taught I mean my comp who is fluent in Spanish taught and I read the scriptures and bore my testimony. But the craziest thing was, I understood everything word my comp said in Spanish during the lesson. It is crazy because on Pday when we get to call our families, I can't comprehend a single word she says to her family in Spanish. I wish I could say I am just super good at learning languages and that is why I understood- nah dawg. That would be a lie! I know the gift of tongues is real. And it was a miracle that I was able to understand her. But God is a God of miracles.

 

We are going to be teaching even more in Spanish because another family from Valensuala showed up at the church on Sunday. Their daughter is a member but they aren't and they want to be taught the lessons! Never imagined I would be teaching the gospel in two languages but here we are!! I know that God wants all his children to be able to recieve the fullness of the gospel because with the gospel comes happiness. And he genuinely wants us to be happy. As someone who is learning a language to be able to teach other people, I testify of this love. I testify of miracles. He places miracles every where- all we have to do is look. 

 

Small jots: 

- Not only do they have chocolate in the crust of pizza here but they also put ketchup on their pizza (I am a BIG fan) #yummy 

- Hit two months on the mission!!! 

- Bought my first Brazil soccer jersey!! 

 

I love you all and Jesus loves you too! Stay swag!! 

πŸ•ΊπŸ₯³πŸ€ πŸ’–πŸ€Ÿ

Com carinho, 

Sister Whiting 









No comments:

Post a Comment

"So I Can Kiss You?"

Hey friends! 🦦   Welcome back to another cute lil' brazil update! I hope your week was slaytastic!    TRANSFER NEWS!! 🚨   We...